Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sports Fans Delight...

Me and the Alabama mascot 2007//Courtesy: Eric Hager
This next month (September) is quite possibly the best Sports month of the year. If not, it runs a close second to March. Why would I say this? Let's take a look.

Football season is starting, at all levels. Really this should seal the argument. But in case it doesn't; baseball is hitting the homestretch on their pennant races. Hockey, is getting ready to start their camp...as are basketball teams.

The weather starts cooling for the year. Okay, maybe not in Florida and to a lesser extent Georgia, but definitely in the rest of the world. I learned this last September, when I moved here to the extreme, southernmost part of the Midwest. It does start cooling here at this point of the year.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I miss being an active part of it in some way. I do. I've rambled on about this several times, including on my own blog site here. It's really hard to get it out of your system. Even in the rare period of time when I wasn't shooting Sports, I was still doing High School Football and the News/Sports guy back when News stations routinely sent a crew to big events involving their teams.

But then again, I am older now and it doesn't bother me as much as it would have 10-years ago. Back then, I'd be chomping at the bit to get going. Now, really I look forward to watching.

Georgia vs. Alabama '07/Courtesy: me
I'd also be lying if I said I don't miss Football in the south. I do. It's different down there. Really different. It's a sort of big deal where I am now. The University of Cincinnati is pretty good, but doesn't get much love. They don't have the history of success to draw from. We are about 2-hours from Columbus and Ohio State. Yeah, those here who do follow them don't get the SEC and they never will. It's completely different.

The baseball here has been pretty good and in some respects the folks here are deeply rooted in their Reds. And for the first time in a very long time, they are a very, very good team. It should be a fun late September/early October, when they get into the playoffs. Really, I'm hoping they'll get to play my Braves. That would make me very, very happy.

I'm adjusting to all of this. Still. TLB, while a good football fan, doesn't care much to watch baseball on TV. She doesn't always want to watch football either and wants nothing to do with basektball...though she does love her hockey.

Really though, if you think about it, this time of year is heartily celebrated just about everywhere. The weather really does cool off. We hit the beginnings of fall and the changing of the leaves. A lot of people argue that March is the best month of the year because of March madness and yeah, it could be an interesting debate. But if you want to purely measure it by universal excitement, I'll take September and even October and perfectly happy.

In honor of Sports Fans Delight, enjoy some rapper's delight. Thanks SugarHillGang/YouTube:

No comments:

Post a Comment