Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Betcha' Didn't Know....Radio, radio

The college roomies at my wedding/Courtesy: ???
How many of you know that I did a stint as a radio DJ? Probably a few of you do. Ross, Big Tom, my family and a few others...but not many. Yes, believe it or not, for a few months, many years ago, I was a DJ at WVGS, the student run radio station at Georgia Southern.

There were a few reasons that I did it, despite the fact that I'm incredibly self-conscious about having way-too deep of a voice.

It was during my summer off in I guess it was 1984 or 1985 when I got interested in maybe going the radio route. I spent that summer as an unpaid intern at what was then Y-106, a top-40 radio station in Orlando. It was a lot of fun, despite starting out as the guy who filed records in order. As the summer wore on, they gave me more stuff to do and I ended up working with the promotions department. I got to drive the station custom van to events and bring the giveaway items. You know, the giant party sub, the beer, free stickers--stuff like that. Heck, I even got drafted one time to be a judge at a bikini contest at a local hotel (yes, it was fun).


They must have liked what I was doing because at the end of the summer, the Promotions Director (also a DJ), wanted me to stick around and be his Assistant. But...it didn't pay very much ($9,000-a year), so I declined.

That fall, when I returned to Georgia Southern, I decided to see if that was what I wanted to do, so I signed up to be a DJ at the college station. They accepted me and low and behold, I had a show...every Saturday from 10 a.m until 1 p.m, which left me just enough time to get to the football games, which at that time kicked off at 1:30.
Bears/Falcons 2005 (chicago, it was -2)/thanks: hager

It was pretty fun, I called the show "The Saturday Morning Hangover Shift" and learned how to operate the board and everything pretty fast. The challenge....the music. At that time, my music knowledge wasn't that great, limited pretty much to Classic Rock and the stuff I saw on MTV (back when they played videos). WVGS at the time had a pretty good library of records in back, we could pick pretty much anything we wanted out of there, but had to pull at least 70-percent of our music from a bin in the front of the studio.

I had never heard of most of the music in there; REM, Midnight Oil, Squeeze and other 80's alternative music. But I learned...and learned to like a lot of it. One of the fun things was picking artists and tracks that I wasn't familiar with and playing them on the show to see if I liked them.

I did have a few regulars that I played. I loved the Police...I played a lot of their music during the show. My signoff song--"Walking on the Moon". I played David Bowie's "Young American" a lot too. Mostly it was stuff that I had seen on MTV, they played a lot of New Wave music at the time: Devo, Simple Minds...all kinds of stuff.

The other challenge was talking on the mic. Those who knew me when I was in Middle and High School will tell you I was kinda quiet. I was. Really. If I wasn't comfortable with the people or things around me, I didn't talk much.

But I had to talk on the radio at some point. And be engergetic...or at least interesting. One show, on a home football gameday, my replacement was late. So I had to stay on the air until they showed. Each break and in between songs, it was "Hey, I'm still here, but really anxious to get to the game....so and so should be here, well, should've been here 20 minutes ago to take you through the day. If so and so is listening, please hurry.

Me and the Vanderbilt Commodore/Courtesy: Eric Hager
The other was on a day where believe it or not, it snowed in Statesboro, Georgia (45-min. West of Savannah). There was a celebration scheduled for our 1-AA Champioship team that afternoon, the EagleFest. Our program director called me during my show and said "Hey, EagleFest is cancelled, make sure you mention it whenever you can". So I did. Every break. In between songs, coming out of songs...probably 75 times in 3 hours.

Anyway, there really isn't a deep seated meaning in this post, I was just thinking about it the other day. I still have a couple of my airchecks, though they are on cassette. I laugh when I think about it. I really had a lot of fun doing it, but I'm glad I went the route that I did.

I always thought I would be either on the radio, a writer or work in TV. And hey, low and behold, that's exactly what I did. It's not everyone that can say they are REALLY living the dream, but to some extent, I really am. Damn happy about it too.

With that in mind, here's your Police--"Walking on the Moon":

No comments:

Post a Comment