Monday, February 28, 2011

Looking for the worst: Don't be so judgmental

Mila Kunis/Celebuzz.com
Is it wrong to wonder why we lost all respect for each other? I'm not really saying you and me...although I guess theoretically I could be.

No, my question is more along the lines of why everyone is so angry and quick to criticize and more importantly, so damn quick to judge?

I was thinking about this after watching the Oscar's last night with TLB (The Lovely Bride) in part because of something she brought up. Here we were, sitting on the couch, watching the Pre-Game show (Red Carpet show) before eating dinner and I asked a question. "Why is this all about the fashion?". Her answer "It's the only thing that really counts".

My question is why? Is it that important to line up people to criticize and harangue these multi-millionaire actors and actresses for how they dress for an event? Or for that matter, who are we to judge them for it? And yet we do. I mean, heck, look it the long list of "Experts" who chime in and grade the actresses for what they are wearing. Is that what we've become?

((In the photo--Apparently the dress on Mila Kunis here, was judged a "B-Minus"---what the hell does that mean?))

There are tons of other examples of this. Heck, I experience it at work almost every day. Yeah, sure, I'm a journalist and writer and I get paid to write. But I don't claim to be perfect. I may strive to be perfect, but I'm not.

Writing Class/Courtesy: this.org
And yet the criticism is not only fast, it's nasty. You'd be amazed at the comments we get on my stations website ((www.wcpo.com)). "Who the hell taught you how to write?" "Are you on crack, hell I can do better than you""Are you all 3rd graders with no English skills" "You can't even write a clear freaking sentence".

Hell, when did the people who take the time to comment on websites become the grammar police? And if they are so great at it? Why aren't they professional writers?

But you can't say anything to them. You want to, but you can't. And quite honestly, it's the tone more than anything else that pisses me off. It's okay to point out a mistake, I have no problem with that. Just don't be so damn nasty about it and act like you've never made one. It's the same with the clothing critics...if you know so damn much then why aren't you the greatest designer that ever lived? Until you are..."Shut the fuck up!".

Sorry about the language.

I don't know. Heck, I have no problem admitting that I'm a cynic. But I don't judge everyone else either.

Here's another example. I'm reading a story about the NFL Scouting combine. Oh my GOD! Mark Ingram ran a 4.65 40-yard dash. According to the writers there (and there are way to freakin' many of them), he just killed his draft stock in the NFL.

Mark Ingram at combine/Courtesy: nba.msg.com
Really? How do you figure? One, the kid hasn't played a game yet. Two, how often in a football game is he going to be running 40-yards in a straight line in track shoes and dry-fit clothes on?

Let the kid play football. We'll see.

If you read all the story's from the Todd McShay's and Scout.com's and NFL Network guys, you'd think the only way to judge a football player is by measuring every part of his body, asking him a bunch of bizarre questions to see how he'll respond (the Wonderlic test) and then have him run the 40.

Come on guys, you can't measure heart. You can't put a metric on how bad someone wants to be successful. If you go by the Combine results as the all-mighty, then every 1st Round Draft pick would be the greatest to ever play the game. That folks, ain't happening.

I'm asking a question here, and really, I know it's rhetorical. But when did we become so damn mean? When did we become a nation of back seat quarterbacks? When did those of us who've never done anything, proclaim ourselves "Experts" who can rip and destroy someone who's attempting to do something? I'm all for the "1st Amendment" and "Freedom of Speech", I mean I'm a frickin' Journalist, I live by it.

Sure, when I write a story on the OnlineSportsGuys.com blog, I express my opinion about things. But its just my opinion. And I always put facts or an explainer in there as to why I am saying it, I've worked in and around Sports for well over 20-years, I'm qualified to offer that opinion. If you can give me a good, rational, logical explanation as to why you are judging someone, insulting someone or criticizing someone, you have every right to do it. Just don't hide behind your frickin' computer, be a douchebag and not be willing to back up anything that you say.

There...I feel better now.

If it will make you feel any better, I found this old Santana song from the early 80's...enjoy it:

No comments:

Post a Comment