Thursday, February 11, 2010

Torn...What to do next?


I am officially torn. And before any of you start cheesing out about that Natalie Imbruglia song from a couple of years ago, this is a little different.

It has been a little over a week now since my last job interview. I was told that they would let me know what they would do one way or another. So far...nothing. Is it unusual for a TV station to take their time on a hire or not follow through on what they said? No, it happens all of the time.

Normally, I probably wouldn't be incredibly concerned about it, but this time is a little different. I want to contact them and find out what is up...but TLB (The Lovely Bride who is an HR person) says that it is a bad idea, I'll sound desperate...even though that is exactly what I am.

In fact, the reason for my worry is this: Two days after the interview, the job posting disappeared. Two days later, 2 part-time and 1 full-time job showed up. I interviewed for an Associate Producer/Assignment Desk job. They suddenly now have a full-time Associate Producer and part-time Desk job plus another part-time AP job available.

Should this worry me, I think so. I thought after the interview things were good and they would take care of me, now I'm not so sure. It sounds an awful lot like they took the original job and made it two positions. I worry because that has actually happened to me before. In 2004, I became the Sports Photographer in Atlanta. By the end of 2004, I was Sports Photographer/Producer and by early 2005, I was Producer/Photographer and running the day-to day Sports operations. New management came and in 2007, it was back to Photographer only and they hired a Producer. I got half of my old job, he got the other.

My point, I guess is this. I don't know what to do. I feel like I should at least make contact with the TV station and see what is up or if they have moved on from me. It would be disappointing...terribly so in fact. But at least I would know. It just is difficult for me, the News Director seemed to like me and was floored at my qualifications for just about any job in the newsroom, but was somewhat concerned about paying me. As much as told him not to worry, it isn't that simple and maybe that is the issue...I don't know.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of options here where I am. The TV marketplace is almost non-existent. Aside from a couple of jobs at one station, nobody else is hiring...for anything. As for production work...same problem. They use a regular stable of freelancers all whom they'd pull from before they'll talk to me. There are a few odd freelance jobs that fly through town on occasion, but they require gear that I don't have.

I'm at a point where though I appreciate my friends saying "Keep Your Head Up", I am having a really hard time doing it. I never thought that I'd be stuck working part-time at a Panera Bread shop right now. Yeah, I know I was seriously burnt out on the TV thing when I came up here, but I'm well over it. I need to find full-time work....somewhere...anywhere....I've been on the beach 5+ months now...and need some work. If this opportunity doesn't work, I'm not really sure that there is a plan B. Yeah, I'll keep skimming the job ads and starting tomorrow I'm sending out some DVD's even though they will be blind sends. That may or may not work, but I've gotta try something...I'm slowly going crazy and need to do something about it.

Enjoy the Working Man from Rush...perhaps I'll be the Working Man again someday. Thanks You Tube:


No comments:

Post a Comment