Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Waiting is the Hardest Part...


Okay. So now I sit through the end of a mild snowstorm and now really, really cold temperatures while waiting to hear where my fate lies. It's a little strange, really I haven't felt like this in quite a few years; 1999 to be exact.

For those of you who don't know, I finally got another job interview this past week. Ok, really it wasn't much of an interview, more like a "Get Reacquainted" meeting. I had interviewed with the nice folks at the ABC affiliate here in Cincinnati back in November for a part-time position and I didn't get it. But, I must have made somewhat of an impression because they asked me to stay in touch with them, which I did. I came in on Wednesday and spent about 20 minutes with the News Director, we talked a little about the job and he said he'd be back to me by early next week.

((Me and Intrepid Sports Guy Mark Harmon doing an interview//Courtesy: Atlanta Falcons))

The job this time; a full-time gig. The job would be Weekend Assignment Editor and Weekday Associate Producer. No, it isn't ideal and doesn't totally play to my Storytelling experience nor does it play to my Sports Background. But, right now; beggars can't be choosers. I am working, but it's because I need to do something to keep me sane and have some cash flow. The job is a part-time food prepper at the Panera Bread down the street from my house. Though they really seem to like me there and would love for me to stick around, it isn't exactly a career path that I'd like to stay on.

Some of you who were around me the last year or so before leaving Atlanta are probably asking "Thought you were done with Local TV?". And yeah, at that time I was, though I am really wondering if I just needed to get away from the crappy TV station that I was working at. Granted, I feel a little bit like Brett Favre right now, but at least I know it.

I've already gone on at length about my last two years or so at WGCL in Atlanta. A really bad work environment in a town that I really wanted to stay in. They dumped on me pretty hard and quite honestly, I was never the same after 2005, when I worked 42 out of 44 days trying to keep the Sports Department afloat. The only 2 days I took off were when my Grandfather passed away. It was never totally the same after that stretch of work.

It's really true the absence makes the heart grow fonder. I've been out now since September. No, I still don't care too much for what Local TV has become. Really it has become a somewhat irrelevant parody of its former self. Well, at least in some places it has. Atlanta is a tough market to work in. Most of the time, the TV stations there are comically bad. They think that it is one of the great TV/Media centers of the world; it isn't.

I do like what I have seen so far here in Cincinnati. Does the News here still do lots of goofy, odd things that aren't relevant to most people; sure they do. But, the pace here is a bit slower, the market is older and experienced. They actually have experimented with and tried some interesting things that nobody in Atlanta really had thought of. The quality of the work here for the most part is pretty good. Well shot and told stories, not heavy on the flash, trash and violence that Atlanta lives on.

I hopefully will know something in the next few days about my fate. I'm not really sure what I will do if I don't get this job, there are very...very few openings for anything in this market. I do know that I need to get something in the video or production world and get it soon. As much as the Panera folks have been very nice to me and I like the people that I work with there, I am oh so ready to do something a little more challenging...at least for me. I'm ready to do something in my career field...if only I didn't have to wait so damn long to find out if I get to make a comeback!

Enjoy you obligatory Tom Petty://Thanks Vevo/You Tube:


No comments:

Post a Comment