Friday, April 16, 2010

It's all coming back to me....


You know, as much as we all want to say that we want to retire early, sit around and do nothing for the rest of our lives, we know that you can't...it will make you crazy.

I've done it. Done it since the middle of September...of last year. It hasn't made me totally crazy, for that would imply that I didn't have a level of craziness before then. Rather it has made me itchy, antsy, restless...but more importantly anxious and ready to embark on a new career path.

((Me at my old desk producing//Courtesy: Jon Nelson))

Well, I've now taken my 1st step. By now, most of you reading this know that I took a job as a Weekend Assignment Editor at WCPO-TV here in Cincinnati. Yes,I know that I said I was hoping to stay out of TV, but I can't. Call me Brett Favre or whomever, I couldn't stay away.

I'm quite looking forward to this job...for several reasons. One, it isn't what I've done for most of my career. No, I've spent the better part of the past 21-plus years slinging a camera. Granted, it was a lot of fun and I got access to and covered things that most people dream of being at.

But it was time for a change. The physical toll of what I was doing was rough. My shoulder had been giving me trouble. A strained rotator cuff here, a muscle strain there...I was having a tough time.

I had also peaked. There was no mobility for me as a Carrier of the Camera. Don't get me wrong, I accomplished a lot. I have a closet full of awards and pictures of me at all these cool places. But as a shooter, I would never be more than I already was.

So I set out to change that. Along my winding road, I picked up some good experiences. Yes, I started as a Sports Photographer and Producer and would've been perfectly happy just doing that, but it wasn't that simple. Through that and my other lengthy list of jobs I was involved with a lot of things.

In Jacksonville, my News Director would come to me and say I need a 30-minute show by mid-week. And I would do it. Team up with reporters, come up with stories, shoot them and edit them and arrange and time the show. Did it all.

Same thing in Atlanta. I achieved a career goal by getting there and then being able to run the Sports Department for awhile. By running it I mean doing all of the planning, producing, choosing stories and doing logistical work. It was great experience.

But my time there passed. I was at a highly unstable station and after being one of the very few to survive for 10 years, it was suddenly time to move on.

So the challenge was...what next? That was a tough one. Unfortunately, I was not qualified to do as much as I thought I would be. I hadn't been on the job market in 10 years. Things changed.

I've already chronicled the search so I won't go into that. What I will say is this: I think I'm at the right place right now for me. I am at a good place with what seems to be a good staff. They don't have much turnover, the people on staff have been together there a long time. They are successful and the number #1 in most shows in town.

I spent a couple of hours at the new job today. Not officially, but I had to do some stuff for HR and then I spent some time with my new boss. She walked me through as many of the desk procedures that she could and I asked a ton of questions. At first, I was quiet and a little hesitant, but it only took a few minutes to start getting my groove back. I will be spending my weekend shadowing the person currently working my shift.

Will this be the be-all, end-all for me? I don't know. It's not even a worry right now, I am just happy that I'm back. I'm really looking forward to the opportunity here. If I'm successful, I've been told there will be better opportunities. No, the schedule isn't perfect, but hopefully I can parlay what I have into a better schedule over time. I am going to provide ideas to make things better. I'm going to be a big communicator and more importantly...I'm going to jump head first into my new challenge.

After all, that's what working is all about...isn't it?

In the spirit of getting back in the groove, enjoy some Earth, Wind and Fire: Thanks You Tube


No comments:

Post a Comment