Tuesday, April 20, 2010

When plans come together....


Anyone who has ever laid out a plan for themselves knows that it isn't easy to say that "I love it when a plan comes together". Unless you are Hannibal Smith of the A-Team.

Despite a very frustrating past 7 months, it appears as though mine is actually working.

The first component was the job. Both me...and TLB (The Lovely Bride) were very unsure as to whether I should be working full...or part-time. Really, up to the point that I got offered my job on the Assignment Desk at WCPO, I wasn't sure which it would be. We had discussions of it being a full-time opportunity and it not. They offered the not, but it was 3 days at a good rate with the opportunity to pick up extra hours.

((Computer Illustration//Courtesy: tonkay.wikispaces.com))

What that allows me to do is something that I've talked about for a long time. I'm going to learn how to design websites. As much as I enjoy the blogspot and posting stories on it is very easy, I want to be able to do a full-fledged site on my own and make it look like I want it to look.

So today, I took the plunge and signed up for some web programming courses at a computer school. I will be learning a bunch of programs; Flash, Dreamweaver and Photoshop. HTML Programming and code so I can put together my own video players and layout for sites.

The reason for this is rather simple. Diversification. If I can do this, which I believe that I will; then I will be able to hopefully branch off and do web design for others. It will also allow me to take on more technical jobs. Jobs that would allow me to create and take videos that I edit and spin them to the internet, things of that nature.

I've preached...over and over about diversifying and knowing as many things as possible and I think this will allow me to do just that. It will allow me the chance to do more and offer more. Even if I do web design as a side-job as a freelancer, it is a couple of hundred extra bucks and I can do it from home.

I feel, strongly, that this is the future. That this is the way to stay relevant and the way to be marketable. Staying strictly within the boundaries of what you utilize and are taught in a Television newsroom isn't enough these days. Those jobs are no longer forever. I know that. Heck, I've known that.

The difference now is perspective. I know what it is like to be on the other side. To be on the other side and realize that your skills don't translate very well because you never had a chance to keep them up-to date. I won't make that mistake...ever again. Hopefully someone else can learn from what I did. Have a plan. Know what will keep you current. Know what it takes to get ahead and have the advantage over someone else. If you don't, they'll do the same thing to you.

Enjoy the original A-Team open...which undoubtedly will be better than the crappy remake: Thanks You Tube


No comments:

Post a Comment