Friday, April 9, 2010

Back in....

Well...if you haven't seen my Facebook post yet, I'm back in...albeit a little reluctantly...to the TV News wars. Most of you who read this are friends and family and you know my situation. Left the business back in September, very willingly, to move to Cincinnati with my wife for her job. It was something, I never hesitated to do and would more than willingly do again (she has a really cool job).

Unfortunately, my timing in regards to the national employment situation wasn't good. There were precious few jobs available when I got here. None in TV. I also found out the hard way, that my work didn't really prepare me for work in the Production sector and really didn't qualify me to do much of anything else.

So I struggled. A lot. I had never really had to look very hard for work and it showed. I bitched. I moaned. I compromised. I took a job for something to do, thinking that it would be fun, it was miserable.

I learned. Learned a lot. I learned that the job search these days is totally different than it was the last time I was looking. I learned that it is all about networking, with a little luck thrown in.

Finally after a false alarm in November, when I interviewed for a producer job that I didn't get, something showed up. It was disappointing not to get it...but I made a contact and that contact insisted that I stay in touch for when something else opened up. I did.

Forward to the end of January and I see a story in the local newspaper that my contact is leaving at the end of February. That same day, I look at the station job site and low and behold, there is a job there. At the time it said "Assignment Editor/Associate Producer. Okay, I can do that, it isn't ideal, but I most definitely can do it. Before I applied, I got in touch with my contact who said "Oh, yes, apply" "We've already brought your name up".

Cue the frustrating part. The original listing went from Full-Time Assignment Editor/Associate Producer to Part Time Assignment Editor and then a separate Associate Producer job. I didn't understand or know what to make of it. I wanted to work and nobody else in town had anything.

So I sat. And waited. They asked me to come visit in early February. It was a quick and informal visit. Nothing happened. About a month later "Can you come in for an interview?". So I did. Finally, it was mid-March and I thought something might happen. We spent an hour and they asked me about all kinds of things, stuff that made me think..."OK, maybe we are serious and going to do this".

Finally, after 8+ weeks, I got the call and it was for the Assignment Desk position. It's part-time, not full, but it pays fairly well and there will be opportunities to fill in and pick up extra hours. It isn't perfect. The hours are going to be a sacrifice. I don't like the thought of not being able to see TLB (The Lovely Bride) as much. She travels a lot and isn't home much during the week and I'm not going to be around on Saturday nights to wine and dine her. It bothers me, a lot that I can't, but I don't think that I have a choice. I couldn't continue on the path that I was on and I have to hope that some more options will appear as we go.

It's going to be strange walking back in. When I left TV in September of '09, I was kind of over the job and the business. I didn't want anything to do with it. I think some of that had to do with my frustration with the employer rather than the work. I think that everything changed in mid 2005, when I had to work a 42 out of 44 day stretch (the 2 off-days were when my grandfather passed away). I think it changed when I got to live my dream and run a Sports Department for almost a year and then had to hand it off to someone else and then watch that person destroy everything that I did and try and destroy me. It soured me but I held on. Held on and didn't do anything about it and that was my mistake.

I learned from that experience and will never forget it. Yes, I'm also putting down the camera, but I quite honestly won't miss it. I did so much as a photographer. I went to, shot and documented so many cool things, so many big events, so many great stories; I'm ready for something different. The one thing I did over my career that is paying off is a variety of things. I learned how to produce. I learned how to write. I spent some time on the desk. I edited. I planned and coordinated. I know how to and have done almost every job in the newsroom.

Will I stay with this forever? I don't know. What I do know is that I will be prepared for something else. I will not get caught like I did this time. I was in no way prepared to look for other work when I got here. I know that now. I will be prepared. I will be ready. Most of all I will enjoy the opportunity. Make the most of it. Be ready. Be a sponge and soak up as much new information as I can. Most importantly...I can start moving forward again professionally...because I'm back in.

Enjoy one of my all-time favs...Back in Black! Thanks AC/DC-You Tube:


No comments:

Post a Comment