Friday, March 26, 2010

Anticipation...is making me wait!


Well, friends, family and fans I think we touched on this topic about 6 weeks or so ago, but it is again a relevant topic of conversation.

It looks like the drought is over, the semi-retirement is at an end and by this time on Monday, I should be employed.

Granted, it isn't official yet, but the background checks are happening and the references are being called. That unto itself I am taking as a good sign, a sign from the gods or a sign that things are again right with the world.

((Me at the Masters in 2006//Thanks Mark Harmon))

Assuming there aren't any skeletons out there that I'm not aware of or any of my long time friends and associates don't make me out to be the world's biggest liar, I'm going to get a job offer.

Yes, it is with the TV Station that I've been talking to on and off for the past...well pretty much since I've been here in Cincinnati. Yes, they have totally dragged things out, but this time it is serious. I spent almost an hour with them on Thursday and they asked me every question my little brain could have imagined. Surprisingly, though I have been on the proverbial beach since September, I seemed to actually have the right answers. OK, I think I did.

The irony here is that it looks like my days as a Video Photographer may be behind me. I'm not sure that I'll miss them...or carrying around the rock on my shoulder. Yes, it was a lot of fun and I had some unbelievable experiences...for those who haven't kept up, you'd be amazed at some of the big-time national stories, events and games over the past 21 years that yours truly has been at and a part of.

It's been in the makings even before I left Atlanta. My shoulder had started going south and my interest had too. I had been trying...up until the freaks took over...to remake myself as a Producer in Atlanta and almost was successful, but I got the opportunity to do a lot of things before they got in place. Everything from helping the Chief with hiring and equipment and running things to revamping the editing department in 2003 and running the Sports Department in 2005. All of that helped me get where I am about to head.

I did what I would tell anyone to do...if they can in any job: Do as many different things as you can at your job. The more you can do, the more valuable you can be and the more opportunity you'll have. It's true.

I know that TLB (The Lovely Bride) will get on me for jumping the gun and announcing this, but I am very confident that it will happen. I was told..."Assuming you check out, we're going to do this, we just need to decide if it will be full-time or part-time". They also, after I asked...said that "We should have done this 2 weeks ago".

No, I haven't said what I'm going to be doing yet...that would spoil the surprise...wouldn't it? Let's just say that I won't be in the field much any more. I'll be doing some of the things that I had begun getting very good at in Atlanta before the rug was pulled away. It isn't in Sports. I was asked though "If you had to pick which you could do, would it be News or Sports?". I was honest...I said "Sports", but added "I realize that isn't available, I've been in News, done News and am very good at it" "News is a part of Sports and vice-versa, I get that". I'm pretty sure that was the right answer.

Anyway, it is going to be a long, anxious weekend. I was told I would be called on Monday and fully anticipate that I will. I won't get into what happened the rest of the day, it is another story for another day...but it made for a really crazy Thursday afternoon.

For those of you who have been there and supportive, I genuinely thank you from the bottom of my heart, you have helped me get through a very tough time in my life. I promise that on Monday I will report on what I am going to be doing...I can't wait!

In the meantime...here is the most appropriate song I could think of: Anticipation by Carly Simon. Thanks Carlysimon.com and You Tube:


No comments:

Post a Comment