Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Eating Poo (I want to stay "G" rated)


By now, I've talked incessantly about taking a part-time job and well, it's not exactly a job that I thought that I would be doing at this point in my life. That reminder was driven home yesterday.

Really, for me the past 2 or so years haven't been great...professionally. My last year, well really 2 years at WGCL-TV in Atlanta really weren't a lot of fun. I got sabotaged professionally by someone who made my bosses think that I was something that I wasn't. Karma bit him in the ass and got him fired, but I still had to try an overcome an image problem that I never quite was able to. Previous to what happened, I had been recognized as one the best at what I did in Atlanta and around the country. That all changed when I got sabotaged, I lost responsibility and access. I had to continue working, but not at what I did best. I had to endure a year and a half of questions: Where have you been? How come you aren't around any more? Because I took the "High Road" I deferred and avoided a direct answer, but it was killing me.

Anyway, so you also know the rest of my story. I left Atlanta in September and have been looking for work since. I've gotten to know some good people here in the Cincinnati area who have tried to help, but I haven't gotten very far with a career track here to this point. Has it been frustrating...Yes. But I'm still plugging away.

In order to do something other than sit in the house all day long, I took a Part-Time job at Panera Bread down the street from the house. I haven't worked in a restaurant since I worked at the Mexican Eagle in 1986 in Statesboro, Ga. to pay for my session of Summer School. The Panera job has been okay, the people are very nice and it is fairly low key. Yesterday as part of my rotation I had to wash dishes, something that I haven't done since I was 16 years old.

Yes, it sucked ass. It was painful for me and brought back some thoughts about what I am doing. I am sure that there are people out there who can understand what I am going through but man, it's tough. I never in my wildest dreams ever thought I would be reduced to this. Through it all, I've been a trooper, I've smiled, I've done my job and I haven't complained. But I'm not sure how long I will be able to do this. I guess what people say about "Doing what you have to do" or "Eating humble pie" is true. I don't totally miss my previous life in TV, but I really miss doing something more becoming of my time and experience. I am growing very tired of "Eating Poo".

Enjoy the Trailer for the Grinch: Thanks You Tube

object width="425" height="344">

No comments:

Post a Comment