Thursday, December 3, 2009

Staying Healthy is Good for Job Searching


Yeah, you heard me right. I'm no doctor and I don't really know psychology all that well, but believe me when I say this; if you want to succeed at something like say- searching for a job, then you need to be in good shape to do it.

The obvious question here is "Can you prove it?". No, not directly. But I can offer living proof that a workout a day will make you feel a whole hell of a lot better about sitting in front of the computer for 6 hours a day looking for work. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

((Daisy the Wonder Dog works out and so should you))

For me it is pretty simple. I run. I've been running for a couple of years now, but until I moved up here it was mostly on the treadmill. Now granted, anyone who has known me from my days as a Basketball player will tell you that I hated extra running. It's true, I did. But I don't now.

I tried lifting weights, really, I've done weight work off and on for most of the past 12 or 13 years. It did feel pretty good, but I bulked up and couldn't lose any weight. In fact I gained weight, because I thought that it would be "Enough to get me in Shape". It wasn't. Was I strong? Yes. When I got married in April of 2007, I weighed 267 pounds. That...was way, way too much.

Since I started running in earnest around June of 2007, I've lost 37 pounds. I'm down to 235. Granted, I am 6-5 and can support it, but I look and feel a whole lot better than I did at 267.

Okay, I am rambling here so I'm going to make my point. The point is this. You need some sort of outlet, particularly if you aren't working or you will go insane. You will. Why not start with a good walk or run? Once you shower up afterwords, you'll have the energy to sit there and do what is necessary. You will be more focused, have more energy and just generally feel better about the predicament that you are in. As I am finding out, you need to use every motivational tool that you can find to stay focused on the task at hand. It's hard...very hard to keep your eye on the Prize...but there is no other choice.

Today's video is a....rather odd...parody promo from the folks at CBS and the You Tube:

No comments:

Post a Comment