Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Truth isn't Always True...The Holiday Job Search


You know, really as much as people in the Job Search business think otherwise, there really isn't a whole lot that gets done between Thanksgiving and New Year's. Hell even if you have a job, nothing much gets done in that 6 week period. It's true. Think about it. Wherever you are or whatever you do, think for a minute. Does anyone start a long-term or business defining project in that time? No. Unless you are a retailer planning for a sale...you don't.

Me, I've gotten very little done since Thanksgiving. Part of that is because I started a part-time job and part of it is because there just isn't anything...job wise or really any otherwise that is interesting to sink my teeth into at the moment. I did get Step 1 of my Plan put in place...we have the Mac Computer with Final Cut 4 on it so I can start getting moving on the editing stuff. But I haven't done much writing for the book. I'm 6 chapters in...18 more to go by early February, I need to get to 10 by the end of the year.

((The KY mascot has the Holiday Spirit//Courtesy: Eric Hager))

Granted...and I don't want to sound like a Grinch; there should be more motivation to do things. The Job Networking groups say that "This is the best time to gain the advantage in Networking and in your search"...I don't buy that. How many businesses are "Seriously" looking to make a "Big" hire in mid-December? For that matter...how many people can say they've ever started a job in December. I actually did....many, many years ago. I accepted the job before Thanksgiving but didn't start until the week after.

Should you try to get stuff done during this period. Sure...you should. Will you get anything done around the holiday parties, the Christmas Shopping and the general festive short weeks? Probably not. Either way, enjoy the holiday, fine tune your plan and have a plan of attack...after the New Year starts.

Here is your Grinch fix...Thanks You Tube:

No comments:

Post a Comment