Thursday, December 31, 2009

Better Luck in 2010


First of all, I hope that everyone had a great Christmas holiday season. The times...they are a changin'...2010 is upon us and quite honestly...just about everyone that I know will be happy to see it come.

((Our new cat Oliver...Courtesy: Me))

2009 you see...wasn't exactly...a stellar year for me, my family or most of my friends. Quite honestly, nothing good happened. Well...maybe a few things, but not a lot of things. The lead into 2009 really wasn't that great either, but it got worse.

I never...never thought a year ago tonight (Dec.31st, 2009), that I would be sitting in my "House"...in Cincinnati, Ohio after working this morning...at Panera Bread. No, my life doesn't suck and honest to goodness, I'm not complaining about it. I just need for my luck to change. I had a great run from 1999 to about the end of 2007. Everything that I did went well. I did all kinds of great things professionally, won a ton of awards, got my dream job and was wildly successful.

It got better...in 2005 I met the woman of my dreams, my wife Michelle...the single greatest thing that I have ever done in my life. She has made me happy on a personal level in ways that before her, I could never imagine. That whole cheesy line from the movie Jerry Maguire "You complete me"...well, as much as I hate to say it...it's true...she completes me. Though I know there are people that would debate this point...I would argue that I truly am..."The Most Happily Married Man in the World".

I laugh as I think back to this day, 10 years ago. I can tell you exactly what I was doing for "Y2K". I spent 12-plus hours in a TV Live Truck with a reporter, Fred Powers, who passed away in 2009. Fred was laughing all day because I was singing "It's the end of the World as we Know it...and I feel fine"...from one of my favorite groups REM. We rang in the New Year with crews from the other TV stations in Atlanta...I brought 2 beers along in a cooler. When I cracked them open at midnight...Fred looked at me like I was crazy, but he drank his and me mine. And we laughed...not just us, but the 0ther 6 media people staked out at the airport when nothing changed...despite the hype that it would.

The other big change has been reconnecting with people on Facebook. I, along with millions of other people never thought there would be anything like this website. I have reconnected with people that I hadn't spoken to in 25 years, it's opened a whole new world to me...and many others...it's definitely a sign of the times.

I really hope that 2010 brings in some better times. I really hope that it will bring me some opportunity to do the things that I truly love to do. I really hope that I get a chance to tell stories, to entertain, to make other people...and myself happy. I really hope for all that and oh...so much more for me, Michelle, Daisy the Wonder Dog...our newest family member Oliver the Cat in 2010. I really, in 2010, hope that all of you...each and every one of you have a better year...a great year...may all the good things that can happen to and for you happen. I really hope that in 2010...you all have a Happy and a Healthy New Year.

Check out Robbie Maddison's crazy motorcycle jump in Las Vegas to usher in 2009. Thanks You Tube:

No comments:

Post a Comment