Saturday, January 30, 2010

Week of Learning


Well, it has been a bit of an interesting week. Really it was more of a learning experience. Nothing overtly special happened, just a couple of interesting items in that checkbook of life kind of thing.

First was that I finally got to take a class on Final Cut Express. I've been wanting to do this for over a month now and I finally did it. When we bought the mighty I-Mac, one of the extras that we bought for it was something called Apple One-to-One. For $99, we can take an individual course with an expert from the Apple store about any program that we have on the computer. I had been looking at various Final Cut courses, all were considerably more than that. There is a website called Lynda.com that will give you a tutorial, but it is difficult to digest.

((Me in my Producing days//Courtesy: Jon Nelson))

Thankfully, I am already able to edit, I just needed to figure out how to do things with the program. The "Expert" spent about 15 minutes showing me what buttons I needed to use to do things...and I was off and running. He didn't have to say much else, I think I asked 3 or 4 more questions, but I got it and got it quickly. Now, I just need to start applying what I learned. No, right now I probably couldn't cut a story on deadline like I used to on AVID, but with some practice, I will.

That leads me up to the other interesting tidbit of the week. There is another job open at the ABC station here in town (Assignment Desk and Associate Producer/not perfect, but I'll do it). As soon as I saw it, I contacted the person I spoke to the last time I was there (the Asst. News Director) and applied. So you are asking yourself, "OK, why was that important, you probably are applying to all kinds of jobs". And you are right, I am. This was interesting because on Friday morning, I found out that my contact is leaving to take a job in West Palm Beach (not an option).

Thankfully, I am smarter than I look. Immediately I sent him a congratulatory e-mail. In the second paragraph, I just played a bit dumb and asked what I should do about the job and who should be my contact. He got back to me about an hour later and said that he no longer is hiring the position, but the News Director was and that I am on their radar for spot. (Yea!) I e-mailed the News Director and hopefully I will hear something from him next week (cross your fingers).

Those are the highlights of the week. Michelle had her Surgery follow up on Friday as well. It went really well. She is cleared to work from home next week and then go to the office the week after. Though I love her with every fiber of my being, I'm kind of happy that they are going to let her go back soon. I have kind of come to enjoy my time here while she is at work, I get more done that way. I still haven't finished the book and my deadline is closing fast. Sunday is probably going to have to be a workday where I get at least 2 chapters written.

Enjoy some Kiss. Thanks You Tube:

No comments:

Post a Comment