Friday, November 13, 2009

Google is your friend (Not in a Facebook Kind of Way)


It's true. Google may be the answer...or at least the provider of all the answers that you will ever need. Amazing as it is...and quite honestly for those who are hip and up and technology, you already know this...you can find out just about anything you want by doing a Google search.

I had used the search engine on occasion, mostly for stuff relating to Onlinesportsguys.com, but that was only the tip of the iceberg. Really, if you know the right combinations of keywords, it's amazing what is out there.

Most of my searching...at least the job search related ones have been using derivatives of keywords that would work for my profession. For example: Video Photographer or Video Editor. You can be even more specific: Television Video Photographer or Final Cut Pro Video Editor...be specific if you can because adding one word will make a huge difference as to what will come up in your search.

The other thing that I've learned is this; while your search will call up umpteen million hits, you probably don't need to go past the first 5 pages or so. After that, the links become pretty repetitive and often times are older and out of date.

This search method works in other places as well. One of the cool things that you can do on Indeed.com is type in Keywords like you do in Google. In fact it will list jobs only rather than some of the excess crap that Google spits back

So far, I've found some useful stuff on these searches. I've found a couple of production companies that keep a crew database for available freelance help and I'm now on their lists. I've also found some local production houses who may or may not be looking for help, but they at least have an e-mail and my resume'. Yeah, they could delete them...or they may not act on them...but they are there.

I've also had a bit of luck with one of the local TV Stations. I went to there website and found a job listing for a Fill-in Producer, something I have some experience at...at least in doing Sports shows. I applied at their corporate site and got a call 4 hours later from the Assistant News Director who saw my resume' and wanted to talk. 20 minutes later he said "I just wanted to talk to you and see where you were at" "If this position doesn't work out, I'll probably have some others, with your resume' it looks like you can do a lot". Maybe that will work out and maybe it won't, but...it keeps me hungry and interested because I got feedback and probably the biggest thing I've learned with this job search is this: "Any response is a good response, it keeps you going and motivated to do more". It also validates that the search does work, if not this time...eventually.

If you are interested, here is a brief tutorial that I found on the You Tube:


object width="425" height="344">

No comments:

Post a Comment