Monday, November 16, 2009

Taking one for the Team


Brace yourselves, this may be a long, rambling, stream of consciousness story this afternoon. I feel the need at this point to talk about what; at least to me is the most important part of the job searching journey...having a master plan...and modifying or adjusting it as you go

Believe it or not, I figured out my plan fairly quickly. I had a pretty good idea of what I want and wanted to do, I'm still trying even now to figure out how to put it into action. For instance, I've mentioned before I want to stay in the video or video production field. I do, it's what I do well, I love being able to tell stories...not just writing them, but showing them. I'm good at it. I am very accomplished at it. I love doing it. Honestly, I wasn't sure when I left my last job if I wanted to stay in it, but a lot of thought and looking back at things told me that it was the place I worked that brought me down, not what I did.

((Photo: Me and the West Virginia Mountaineer Mascot at the 2005 Sugar Bowl...yeah...he didn't get out much))

My plan is simple. I want to have my own production company. I want to not only utilize the skills I've learned over the past 22 years as a Videographer/Editor and Producer, I want to expand them. I want to take courses in Web Design and graphic design. I want to be able to do everything.

Sacrifice...

Sometimes you have to take one for the team. Really, you do. I did something today that I never thought I would have to do. I went to a Panera Bread store near the house and took a job with them. That's right, 23 years after the last time I worked in a restaurant, I took a job working in a restaurant.

Why do that you ask? Several reasons: (1) Basically Michelle told me this weekend "Find something to do, even if it's part time, just get out of the house". (2) In order to get some new clothes and start purchasing equipment, I need to start bringing in my own money. We make enough for us to get by, but we have to be much more careful right now without me bringing anything in. Hopefully that will change. (3) The General Manager at Panera Bread couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating. He told me that I can "Work as much or as little as I wanted to" and that he understood that I was in transition. He said "If you find what you are looking for, all I ask is for some notice before you leave". Honestly, I told him that would be the least that I could do.

Is it scary to go back and work like that? Sure, but to get what I want, I'm going to have to make some sacrifices and you know what. I'm OK with that.

**BREAKING NEWS UPDATE***- As I was writing this, I received a call from the Assistant News Director at WCPO-TV the ABC station here. He would like me to come in on Friday to meet with him and his News Director. Maybe it's true that once the gate is open, everything comes at once.

Finish the Drill....


Mark Richt, one of my favorite people uses this line with his Georgia Bulldogs all of the time. "Finish the Drill". You have to finish what you start...or why start it? It's the same thing with your plan. You have to have one in order to succeed. Not just in life, but for your job search and anything else that you do. You may have to take a step or two back in order to make your plan work...but if you do...so what...do it! Keep your eye on the prize because in the end you'll be amazed at how happy you are and how proud you will be if you accomplish it.

((I apologize for the gigantic font. Blogspot is being a pain in the ass and won't let me re-adjust it to the size it should be))

Enjoy the A-Team because "I love it when a plan comes together". Thanks You Tube:










No comments:

Post a Comment