Monday, November 23, 2009

Things You Never Thought You Would Do


Today was the 1st time that I set foot in a restaurant as an employee since 1986. Yes, I'm the old dude working at the Panera Bread in Hyde Park (for those who don't live here...neighborhood in Cincinnati). Quite honestly, it's something I honest to goodness never thought that I'd have to do. Technically, I guess I don't, but I did need to do something to get me out of the 8 hour marathon Internet Job Searches and get some positive cash flow coming in.

I've been out of work for well over 2 months now. Despite some of my friends thinking that "He's retired", no, I haven't, I'm just having a very hard time finding work in my chosen profession. It's not to say that I won't or I won't stop looking, but I had to do something.

One of the biggest challenges that I've faced is aside from shooting, editing and producing video's is that there aren't a ton of other things that I am qualified for. Yes, it's been an issue. Along with the "Why would you want to work here?" question. I did have a job offered to me in October. Doing Customer Service on the phone; no...the more I thought about it, that wasn't going to work.

So, the question is why a restaurant? Well, how many of you worked in one when you were growing up? Yeah, that is what I thought. It's something that I can do. Probably the most appealing part of it for now is the flexibility and openness from the folks at Panera Bread. They are willing to be flexible with my scheduling if I can find freelance work or follow through with the classes that I want to take.

The other reason: Cash Flow. Obviously, since I wasn't employed, I wasn't bringing home any money. As much as Michelle loves me and she makes a good living; I had to do something if I wanted some warmer clothes here in Cincinnati. Plus, since my expenses are pretty low right now, I can pay off credit cards and start saving for the equipment that I want to buy. Am I making a fortune? No. Am I making more than I've been spending? Yes...or at least I will be.

My point today is this. Sometimes you might have to suck it up a little and do something you didn't think that you would have to. With a little time and research, you may find something fun or something that will pass the time. Either way a little something, sometimes...can go a very long way.

To stay with the Theme of the Day, enjoy some Bread...with David Gates and the Guitar Man. Thanks You Tube:

No comments:

Post a Comment