Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Networking


Over the past couple of months, I've figured out what I guess most people who have had to look for work in the past couple of years already knew. The key to getting a decent job in theses times is Networking. Basically, as I think I mentioned in a previous blog; it's knowing someone...or knowing someone who knows someone or knowing someone who knows someone who knows someone in order to get into the job that you want.

Networking groups. That's probably the biggest thing that I've learned; there are networking groups out there, groups that meet and share information and talk about people, jobs and places in relation to work. You'd probably be surprised that up until my arrival in Cincinnati, I never thought about or even knew that such things existed, I never had a need for something like that.

A couple of blog entries earlier I spoke about Google. If you are in a position where you want to find a Job Networking group, use it. Do a Google search for groups in your area. Chances are, you'll find one.

Me, I was lucky. When my wife was transferred up here to Cincinnati, her company had a deal with a company to help adjust to and learn a new company. When they heard my situation, they came up with a couple of people for me to contact. I did that and they were kind enough to give me some other people to contact as well as some groups in the area.

The primary group that I joined is the Job Search Focus Group. It's a group of about 200 or so folks who maintain a database, list and connect people with others looking for work. They have meetings every Monday and usually bring in a speaker to talk about something job search related. It's, at least for me, been an eye opening experience.

To sum this up and not ramble on forever, my point is this. There is a really good chance that you are going to struggle finding a job unless you know someone in the company or business that you are looking at working for. You may find a job posting online, but if you do, you run the risk of it being already filled or being frozen or being advertised with no intention of filling. Plus, if you've seen it then so have thousands of others have too. I'm finding out that the best positions, the positions that you want to find are usually ones that aren't posted anywhere publicly. And if they are, you need to be able to get moved to the top of the pile.

On that note, enjoy Network...the Movie that is and the famous Howard Beale rant....Thanks You Tube:

No comments:

Post a Comment